Hey folks!
In the middle of April we finished up our Dobu Practicum by writing several papers. These papers were summaries of what we learned - not by research on the internet, but by building relationships with the Dobu characters, asking questions, observing their daily life, interacting with them and learning bits of their language. After eight weeks of this kind of interaction, we made conclusions about Dobu culture and their themes. By 'themes' I mean this: every culture has values that drive that people to do what they do (so do we as Americans). Each person in that culture begins to learn what those values are from little on up; it is instilled in them. Based on what those around them value, determines how they themselves learn to behave in that society.
What drives the Dobu people on the Tewara Island of Papua New Guinea to do what they do? The five main drivers (themes) I saw are as follows: Manipulation (of spirits and people), Power, Being a good person, Fear and Jealousy. These themes show up in every area of Dobu life. At the end of our papers we had to explain how these drivers would affect relationship-building and a Church plant. We looked for what could be a 'bridge' or a 'barrier' in building relationships, teaching God's word, and in planting a Church.
If I knew how, I would attach my paper to this blog so you could read it for yourself.
All for now. I have a fish fry with my church to get to!
1 comment:
Hey Sonya,
Great update! I like your hair style, too :)
Post a Comment