One of Our Zapoteco Friends
The Soup in Progress
A birthday party is in full swing. Accordian music is blaring from a radio someone set outside on the ground. A recently slaughtered pig is being cooked and all his parts have carefully been utilized - including his intestines for a special soup. Children are running around - in and out of the open doors of the surrounding little houses of their aunts, uncles, cousins, grandparents, brothers and sisters. Hours ago, a blue tarp was strung up in the yard to provide some sort of shelter. After the food is ready, most of the action will take place under this tarp. A Pinata will be hung up later on - as in several hours later on.
The party has been going on for six hours and the cake has not yet been served. But no one is in a hurry. It is dark now. And did I mention that torrential rains have been beating down on the whole scene much of this time? The blue tarp is whipping about in the wind. Still, the party continues -unabated. No ones' spirits are dampened; but we are drenched.
Where am I? I am in Michigan with my sister, Sophia, but the language I hear around me is mostly Spanish - and sometimes Zapoteco. The migrant family I have come to join in this full-blown party is from Oaxaca, Mexico. I watch. I listen. My thoughts jump back to a few days before this.
This time I am standing with this same family beside the grave of their father who passed away a few months ago. They have numerous candles which they light and put at the head of the grave. Each takes a can of pop, drinks some, then pours the remaining contents on the grave - anywhere - the head, the foot, the middle, the sides. They do this several times while making sure the candles are still lit - no easy task, because, once again, it is raining. I watch. I listen. My heart is heavy within me. What are they thinking when they do this? Their ritual means something to them, but what?
All the training with New Tribes Mission that I have had these last two years comes to slap me in the face. I am no longer in a classroom. I am in reality. This dear family needs the truth. "Ye shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free." Jesus said, "I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life, no one comes unto the Father except by me." Even with the heaviness in my heart, a pained-joyfulness surges within me. This is the cause for which I have given my life. Praise God for the friendship Sophia has with them. It is opening up a door of opportunity for them to hear and understand the Gospel.
1 comment:
Sis,
Very well written. What a blessing it was for me to have you with me for these unique experiences. I appreciate your insight and the way you put your training into practice. I'm proud of you!
Post a Comment