Thursday, November 20, 2008

Two Screws Less - update on my surgery

I’m sure by now you all have given up checking this blog for updated updates (does anyone with a lovely dial-up speed of 28.8 kbps share my pain?). But the promise of my wonderful friend, Carrie Martin, rings true (the "I promise" blog on Aug.5th). I am still alive and my surgery on July 3rd did what I was hoping it would do - that is, relieve me of the most debilitating pain I was having, and slowly gain back what I was able to do 'once upon a time' two years ago.

From the time the screws were put in two years ago, to the time they were taken out, I was on a downward spiral. From the human standpoint, it seems a wasted two years since I am back to square one with my back problems. Well...okay, 'square zero' might be more accurate. After all, not only did the screws not fix the major problem, they created other problems like muscle weakness which is taking months of physical therapy to overcome (although, there is the plus that the nerve damage healed during that time - could‘ve fooled me that anything had healed during those two years). But we all know because of who God is, nothing is ever wasted. Not even pain.

Speaking of physical therapy, I finished six weeks of it at the end of September - three hours a day, three times a week, plus an hour of traveling time. I felt as if I had a full-time job! Thankfully, I can now continue this program here at home. I'm still having some pain, still avoiding sitting, still avoiding driving long distances, still lying down quite a bit throughout the day, but...trust. It's a beautiful word. And who is more worthy of my trust than the One who created me and saved me?




Bambie surprised me by driving all night long from Michigan to drive with us to Atlanta for my surgery.





Talking on the phone to Sophia five minutes before I was given the "I feel good" stuff. Sis couldn't leave her post in Michigan.

2 comments:

Melissa G said...

Good to hear from you and see all the pictures!
Your smile is amazing Sonya, even 5 minuets before going into surgery! =)

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad things are going better for you now, God is so good, and tere truely isn't any wasted time when you let the Lord do His work!:) Had I not got sick, I'd never met my husband!;) Some things are totally worth it in the end!:)